LIGHTS ON THE CHAMPIONSHIP WAVES
SIMES illuminates the brand new DANUBE ARENA in Budapest: the complex, built between 2015 and 2017 accommodates 6.000 fixed and 6.000 temporary places, two swimming pools, one diving pool and one more small training pool. The building hosts the world swimming championship 2017. The investments are part of a complex programme of urban development aiming at the expansion of the northern part of Budapest. It is the biggest development programme of sport infrastructures in Hungary in the last thirty years.
The architecture designed by Marcel Ferencz, a well-known Hungarian architect, is reflected in the waters of the Danube River and thanks to this strategic arrangement it acquires a dominant placing in the urban landscape. The facade is made up of aluminium profile sheets in a dynamic sequence that creates a direct connexion between their undulated movements and the Danube River; it reflects the colours of the landscape during the different phases of the day. At night time on the contrary, the outdoor lighting illuminates the Danube Arena on the water mirror in a play of reflexions where light is the main player.
Despite the whopping size of the building, the spectator gets a feeling of a flexuous and floating wave: the large glass windows at the base of the structure give brightness to the environment and lightness to the building.
The illumination of the area surrounding the building has been done exclusively with the street furniture AVENUE which provides in this environment both an aesthetical and a functional valence. An aesthetical one for the clean geometrics of the product perfectly blend with the design of a distinctly modern structure; a functional one for the lighting chosen provides the right lighting for the transit areas and the access to the building.
- LOCATION: Budapest, Hungary
- INVESTOR: Hungarian National Asset Management Inc.
- GENERAL DESIGN: TECTON Architect and Consulting (Béla Varga, István Fodor, Ákos Pindes, Tamás Ükös)
- ARCHITECTURE: NAPUR Architect (Marcel Ferencz DLA, György Détári DLA)
- INTERIOR DESIGN: MCXVI Architects (Gábor Szokolyai)
- ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING: Provill (Zoltán Ivanics, Attila Nagy)
- LIGHTING PROJECT: BE LIGHT! (Zoltán Morvai, Gergely Papp)
- GENERAL CONTRACTOR: Market Építő Zrt.
- ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR: Vilati Szerelő Zrt.
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Tamás Bujnovszky